People should know the need for sleep to enjoy better health. The quality of sleep, and hence the total life expectancy, are greatly influenced by the amount of sleep we get each night. So, it’s necessary to get a good amount of sleep every day for a healthy life.
A lot of people are aware that sleep deprivation can have serious effects on your health. But most people don’t understand what sleep deprivation does to our bodies. It results in such things as a lack of concentration, irritability, emotional outbursts, impaired memory, and thinking, drowsiness, and disturbed sleeping patterns. These effects of sleep deprivation are not only associated with physical health, but also mental health.
It becomes very important to reduce sleep deprivation and ensure you get a good amount of sleep every day for a proper and healthy life. There are several things you can do to ensure you get enough sleep. You can make sure your bedroom is as dark and quiet as possible. Try getting up at the same time daily and avoid napping during the day. You can also go to bed earlier than you usually do and try to make it so you fall asleep without waking up.
How Much Sleep Is Required
The answer depends upon your lifestyle and individual needs. Everyone is different and some people need a lot of sleep, others a little. If you are an insomniac or have trouble getting to sleep at night, you might benefit from a slightly more than adequate amount of sleep.
- There is also what is called a “short nap syndrome” which is caused by sleep being disturbed through the night. People who have a problem with napping during the day are usually people who are working on a lot of projects or are schooled in the mornings. These people usually have an extra hour or two during the day and need that hour of sleep. These people need to make sure they get eight hours or more of sleep every night.
- Also, age can play a role in determining how much sleep you need. If you are older and have reached the point where your melatonin levels are not as high as they should be, this may play a big role in how much sleep you can get. Usually, the best way to deal with this problem is to get as much sleep as possible.
- Your environment can also affect your sleep patterns. If you are living in a noisy, busy neighborhood, this can certainly affect your sleep. To sleep well, you have to get away from such a lifestyle.
- Sleep disorders can also have a huge impact on how well you sleep. If you suffer from a medical condition like sleep apnea, this can greatly reduce the quality of your sleep. If you have a mental blockage or a physical blockage in your sleep, your rest will suffer as a result. Getting a good night’s rest is very important and getting a good night’s sleep can help to maintain or improve your overall health. Or you can make some minor changes to your bed and bedroom. You can try introducing pillow shams to illuminate colorful designs in the room. Sometimes a change of pattern or color also helps in refreshing the mind and can bring you sleep.
Sleep Requirement According To Age
- Adolescents: Adolescents need at least 10 hours of sleep in a day. Since they are growing and there are changes in their hormonal structure, there is a need for them to sleep more than adults. Once you establish a routine, your child will be more likely to go to bed on time, which means that he or she will be getting the amount of sleep that he or she needs. You may also want to consider giving your child more of a chance to sleep less, or to stretch out his or her hours. A common way to make sure that a child gets the amount of sleep that he or she needs is by allowing them three to four hours of sleep at night, as well as two to three hours of naps during the day.
- Adults: Since the body of the adults is fully grown and matured, there is a great need for the adults to need at least 8 hours of sleep in a day. When it comes to adults, how much sleep is needed is relative to the amount of activity that they have throughout the day as well as their general health and diet. In most cases, people need between seven and nine hours of sleep each night, but this varies by individual. People who eat a poor diet or do not get enough exercise may also find that they need less sleep at night than those who eat a high-fiber, nutrient-rich diet and get moderate exercise.
And for those who travel frequently for work or pleasure, can use RV mattresses for more comfortable sleep during travel. And for utmost comfort, look for the RV mattress sizes before selecting your pick.
- Older Adults: The amount of sleep that you need will depend on several factors including, how active you are, your daytime routines, and the amount of sleep you get each night. Older adults need more sleep than younger people because they usually slow down more during the day, which means that they are not as alert. Older adults also have changes in their sleeping patterns.
How much sleep is recommended for older adults depends upon several factors. If you are older and are not showing any signs of slowing down or sleeping too much, then you do not need to worry about how many hours of sleep you need. However, if you are experiencing memory problems and trouble with processing information, then you will need more sleep than usual. Likewise, if you have sleep apnea, snoring or other health problems, you will need more sleep.
So, this article would guide you on the amount of sleep that you require at various ages to stay healthy.
Larry Alton is a blogger and passionate writer at Managerteams.com. She loves cooking and is fond of traveling.